Friday, April 02, 2010

Poem-a-day - april 1


There is a group on the Internet posting a challenge to write a poem a day during April (National Poetry Month). a prompt is given each day at this website. Why don't you join in? Here is my first entry based on the prompt to write about loneliness:

I am sometimes lonely
for myself.
Not the perfect me,
but the honest me.
The one who is afraid.
The one underneath the one
who is afraid.
The one in the dark.
Not the one in the mirror.
The me of the stone
in my gut. The me
of random sobbing.
The me longing to be known
by the me who ignores her.
The inconvenient me,
the one who has
unacceptable desires.
the hidden me
who casts shadows
under my acceptable face.
The one who dances
alone underneath the basement,
humming haunting melodies.
The one who disappears
when glimpsed sideways.
We are not exactly
strangers. But we don't
spend much time looking
for each other.
The me who is afraid
to be seen -- the me
who always wants
the spotlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home